I have come across different types of people in the past few decades. Either it was via radio, or face-to-face interactions in Pakistan, Norway or UK. I must say, the experiences I got were just out of this world since each and every individual I came across taught me something that I needed to learn and which helps me in one way or the other to this time.
I see myself as someone who cares about others and someone who has pain when he sees someone else going through a tough time. I am sure and I hope you are like that as well. For such people, the agony of sitting around someone who is so self-centered that they see nothing else beyond their own nose, is not a comforting feeling.
Here is how you can be sure that you are dealing with a narcissist.
- They will ask you for advice but have already made up their mind
- They will ridicule you in front of others to just score points
- They will make you feel so tiny that you might forget you exist
- They will take credit for things they haven’t done
- They lack the ability to take any criticism
- They will take revenge for something you might have said about them or to them
Where do these people exist?
- They can be your boss
- They can be someone who manages you
- They could be a colleague
- You probably study with them
- Or you most probably sit with them on and off
What to keep in mind when speaking with such people?
- Don’t show that you are affected by their words, because that’s what they feed on
- Don’t waste your most precious words where you try to get empathy from them
- Don’t let them steer you into pouring your heart to them, they don’t care
- If there is something you need to talk to them about, stick to the topic
- Look at them straight in their eyes and don’t joke around, they see it as a weakness
- Say their name when you talk to them, no “bro” or “sis”
- Breathe properly, and practice what you will be saying
I know it’s easier said than done, but I have been through it a lot of times. From bosses that just couldn’t realize that treating their employees is the most important thing to people who just happened to have their name on top of a contract that they felt gave them the edge.
I wish you luck, and remember, be strong and don’t give in. This world is not for the sheep, but if you are thinking of becoming a lion, try not to bite everyone’s head and only use your powers when you need to. Be nice and be kind, because that’s more powerful than anything else!
Click on an icon to share this post on social media